AUTOMATED GUIDED VEHICLES
An Automatic Guided Vehicle (AGV) is a self-guided autonomous robot that navigates a warehouse to perform specific material handling tasks. Modern AGVs navigate a warehouse by utilizing the lastest technological advancements in software, 3D cameras, imagery, and LIDAR detection to pinpoint positioning, location, and movement. AGVs can be used for a variety of tasks and applications such as cross-docking, storing and retrieving from pallet storage racking, tow heavy loads, block stacking, inbound receiving, long distance pallet transfers, product line transfers, and removal of empty pallets.
AGVs can provide labor cost savings and increased efficiency across a variety of industries, especially in cold storage applications where employee productivity can decrease due to the adverse effects presented by harsh environments. AGV systems are also ideal for high-volume warehouse environments that transport a significant amount of SKUs.
Types of AGVS
- Unit Load AGV: Individual vehicles to transport unit loads such as bins, containers, or pallets.
- Forklift AGV: Utilized to automate tasks traditionally done by manual forklifts, Forklift AGVs are used in many applications for inter-building transportation and pallet transfers to and from warehouse pallet racking.
- Towing AGV: Also known as a warehouse tugger or tow tractor, are capable of towing heavy loads to move raw materials or finished products.
Automated Guided Vehicles are used in a variety of applications:
- Repeat movement of materials over a distance
- Consistent delivery of stable loads
- Medium and high throughput/volume
- When on-time delivery is urgent and late deliveries are causing inefficiency
- Labor shortages cause disruptions in everyday operations
- Systems where tracking material is crucial
- Reduced labor costs
- Improved accuracy and efficiency
- Low investment and operating costs
- Optimum adaptation to dynamic logistics market requirements
- Maximum flexibility for warehouse picking
- Gentle and safe transport of diverse goods and load carriers
- Increased operating safety and improved working conditions
- Suitability for use in demanding environments
- The greatest flexibility in terms of system adaptations and expansions