An automated storage and retrieval system (AS/RS) is designed for automated storage and retrieval of parts and items in manufacturing, distribution and wholesale. It helps businesses compete in a time of rapid technology advances. AS/RS provides fully automated solutions to help keep the flow of product across the entire supply chain.
AS/RS consists of a variety of computer-controlled systems for automatically placing and retrieving loads from defined storage locations. It can be used with standard loads as well as nonstandard loads.
An efficient AS/RS system provides significant cost savings to companies by minimizing the amount of parts and products in storage and maximizing the organization of the contents inside a warehouse. It also increases storage space due to the high-density storage it provides.
AS/RS meets the trend towards “Just in Time” production, and is a much faster way of organizing the storage of smaller items next to production lines. It maximizes efficiency by auditing the inventory of contents within a specified space, rather than undergoing a thorough search of the entire facility, for a single item.
Automated storage and retrieval systems are ideal in applications with the following characteristics:
- High volume of loads moving in and out of storage
- Storage density is crucial
- Space constraints
- No processing, only storage and transport
- Accuracy is critical to prevent expensive damages to the load
- More accurate tracking of inventory
- Increased density
- Reduced labor costs
- Increased efficiency by linking order processing with logistics management
- Automation reduces labor costs while increasing safety